Email sales@SilverAndGold.com
Search
Track Your Order How To Purchase About Us Unique Gift Ideas
[ Home > Sterling Silver Guidance & Understanding ]
About Sterling Silver

Pure silver, is an atomic element (AG) sometimes called fine silver, is relatively soft and therefore can be easily damaged. To strengthen and harden the silver, pure silver is commonly combined with other metals to produce a more durable product. The most popular of these silver alloys is sterling silver, which consists of 92.5 percent silver and 7.5 percent copper. Copper is also an atomic element (Cu).

Although any metal can make up the 7.5 percent non-silver portion of sterling, centuries of experimentation have shown copper to be its best companion, improving the metal's hardness and durability without affecting its beautiful color.

The small amount of copper added to sterling has very little effect on the metal's value. Instead, the price of the silver item is affected by the labor involved in making the item, the skill of the craftsperson, and the intricacy of the design.

Because pure silver is so soft, it should only be used when malleability is required, such as in handcrafted jewelry featuring weaving and other intricate designs.

Sterling silver is most often used for jewelry and household accessories because of its combination of beauty and durability. Acceptable quality marks for sterling silver include:

  • Sterling Silver
  • Sterling
  • Ster
  • .925
  • 925
  • 950
  • 960

Combinations of the above marks are also acceptable (such as Sterling 925). Note that a designation of 925 for Sterling Silver denotes 92.5% Silver with the remaining 7.5% being a combination of harder metals such as Copper. Some countries, such as Japan, use a higher percentage of silver and can be marked 950 (95% pure silver) or 960 (96% pure silver). With proper care, your fine quality silver will last a lifetime. To minimize scratches and other damage, store your silver jewelry either in a cloth pouch or in a separate compartment in your jewelry box. Avoid exposing your silver to household chemicals when cleaning with bleach or ammonia, or when swimming in chlorinated water, as these chemicals can damage silver.

Proper Care of Silver

Care should also be taken to prevent silver tarnish build-up, a dulling that naturally occurs when silver reacts with sulfur or hydrogen sulfide in the ambient air. To clean your silver, use polishes formulated specifically to remove tarnish. You can find fine silver polishes, solutions, or cloths appropriate to remove tarnish at most hardware stores or specialty craft stores. Tarnish is most easily removed when it first becomes visible.

Although wearing your silver jewelry often is the best way to prevent tarnish from building up, regular cleanings of all your silver items will prevent tarnish and keep your silver bright and sparkling.

Look for the fineness mark and the maker's mark on the underside of the silver item you are considering to ensure the quality.



       

SilverAndGold
Art Guidance
Awards & Reviews

How To Purchase
Escrow Policies
Insurance

e-mail: sales@silverandgold.com

Fax: (734) 728-8890
How To Purchase | Customer Service | Policies | Privacy & Escrow
Copyright 1997-2017 SilverAndGold.com. All Rights Reserved